Main Menu

Think You have it Bad? Grass Lake News from 1914

Share Button

MARCH 5, 1914 Grass Lake News
Fierce Fire Near Grass Lake    March 5, 1914
The splendid farm home belonging to Mrs. J.B. Cadwell situated just west of Grass Lake was completely consumed by fire Sunday afternoon. A fierce gale was blowing from the northwest and men, in groups, were saying what a terrible thing a fire would be when the whistle blew and a mad rush was made through the storm to the scene. The fire had started in the kitchen part of the house, which, fanned by the fierce gale, was soon beyond control. Men had to be satisfied with removing the furniture most of which was saved. The Cadwell family moved into this house on the first of March thirty-two years ago and it burned on the first of March. $1,600 insurance was carried but the house could not be built to-day for twice that amount. Nothing but the favorable direction of the wind saved the large barns.

Michigan News In Brief    March 2, 1914
The elevator at New Hudson was burned to the ground in a fire that threatened the entire village Saturday. The loss is $6,000.
Deputy Attorney General A.B. Dougherty, in an opinion rendered, has decided there is no state law prohibiting the feeding of table refuse to hogs.
Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor of Ionia, whose husband was burned to death in the jail at Lowell while intoxicated, was awarded a judgment of $1,500 against three saloonkeepers who sold him liquor.
Willims Brothers company of Cadillac, one of the largest lumber concerns of the state, has adopted plans for sharing profits with its employees.
The home of Lemuel Miller, four miles north of Ridgeway, was damaged Friday night by the explosion of an acetylene gas plant. Cement blocks were hurled 100 feet from the scene. No one was hurt.
While his mother was preparing supper, Frank Kuopile, 4 years old, secured a bottle of carbolic acid and spilled it over his face and chest. He was so badly burned that he died within an hour.
Edwin P. Knight, aged 76, and one of the best known pioneer residents of Eaton county, died suddenly Saturday of neuralgia of the heart. He was the first white child born in Eaton Rapids.
Shooting tinfoil wads may cause the loss of an eye to Jay Adams, a Battle Creek school boy. The lad was standing in the manual training school when a companion hit him in the eye with a tinfoil wad shot with a rubber band.

A heap of thanks to Linda Lockwood Hutchinson.



(Next News) »



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked as *

*