On Monday August 16, 2010 at 7 pm, Jackson County Sheriff’s deputies responded to an accidental shooting in a home in the 2200 block of Maute Road in Grass Lake Township.
An 80-year-old Grass Lake man had a bullet wound to the hand and was taken to Chelsea Community Hospital.
The man was holding the handgun when it discharged, striking him in the hand. Based on evidence and the weapon it appears the handgun may have malfunctioned when the owner was “clearing it” to clean the gun.
The minor injuries were treated and the man was released from Chelsea Community Hospital.
The handgun involved in the incident was seized because it was not registered.